Wednesday, June 25, 2008

To Toto

So this morning they gave us our site assignments. Prior to this, the entire group was a nervous wreck, with lots of uncomfortable giggling, hugging, "oh my god"s. It was a long drawn-out process. They brought out a large map of Guatemala, and we each had to put a pushpin in one of the sites (just randomly). Then we each had to read a short description of each site. Then, FINALLY, they gave us our envelopes, and all at once we opened them up to see our destiny.

I am going to be serving in an aldea in the western highlands in the district of Totonicapan. It's a village high in the mountains, close to San Francisco El Alto, a larger town where the biggest market in Guatemala takes place. It is a largely indigenous site, populated by the Kiche Maya (but they also speak Spanish). It's in a cold climate. I will be the only volunteer in my site, as well as the first. Still, there are other volunteers in the area, and some not too far that are in my program and friends of mine. It's only 35 km to Queztaltenango, or Xela ("Shela), the 2nd biggest city in Guatemala, which is supposed to be awesome. I will also have access to the internet and there's a small library.

So far, I am very pleased. I wanted to be alone, in the mountains, in a smaller village, but I am also relieved that I will have easy access to the city and other volunteers in the area when I need it. And it's not as far as it could be to Guatemala City and the rest of the country.

There is still a lot more to find out. Is it beautiful there? Just how big exactly is it? How cold really? But next week I will go on my site visit where I'll see the schools, meet the directors, and try to find housing. More than anything, I'm just so happy to finally know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty pimp site! Congrats! You guys must feel so much lighter now that you know where you're going to end up.
You will make one fab PCV!
-Oh, and on a side note, since I am not able to come back to Guate (working on a transfer to a new country, and yes, starting training all over at day #1 in D.C...I'm a little sour about the whole experience to say the least..)..but since I have a few months to hang out here in the States, I was actually considering applying to work the 2nd half of the summer at Glacier!! From what you've said, it sounds beyond worth it!! We'll see what happens, I'm looking into a few other things as well. You wouldn't mind if I mentioned that you informally referred me?
Por favor, manda abrazos gigantes al grupo entero :)
Suerte,
-Stacey
xoxo
PS-I guess there's no more room for anyone else to post on here now, eh? :)