Saturday, June 7, 2008

Antigua-'Tigua!




Last Sunday, I went with my site-mates to Antigua, the old colonial city, where we met up with several other trainees. Antigua is definitely a world apart from the rest of the country. It´s a great tourist hub and language school center, which means there are about as many gringos walking around as women in traje. There are several beautiful ruins and old colonial architecture, as well as a gorgeous park. I have not been in my village that long, but it was so refreshing to feel anonymous and normal for a day. I could walk around and speak in English without being stared at. I felt a great sense of relief, like I had stepped out of a giant spotlight. At lunch, I had a sandwich, french fries, and a drink, which was a nice respite from Guatemalan food (even though I generally like it). The group of us sat at the lunch table talking for hours, about nothing much. Other than that, we just walked around. It´s a beautiful city, but it has a distinctly un-Guatemalan feel to it. I won´t go there all the time, but for now, it was just what I needed.


Me and my team after a nice meal in Antigua.

No comments: